Nick’s broad experience, first as a trial attorney, next as a trial court judge, and then as an appellate justice, uniquely qualifies him to serve as a dispute resolution neutral in all capacities – as a mediator, arbitrator, special master, temporary judge, and referee – in a wide variety of matters, including construction, antitrust, securities, corporate governance, partnership, agricultural, probate, personal injury, insurance, medical and labor and employment.
- Judge, Fresno County Superior Court (1985-1989)
Various assignments, including civil trials, civil law and motion, Appellate Department (Presiding Judge, 1987-1989), and civil settlement conferences. Assigned to preside “for all purposes” in complex civil cases and coordinated civil actions.
- Justice, Court of Appeal, Fifth Appellate District (1989-2006)
Assistant Presiding Justice (2001-2006)
Justice pro-tem, California Supreme Court (January 1999)
California Judicial Council Advisory Committee on Voir Dire (1985-1986)
California Judicial Council Appellate Advisory Committee (1995-1996)
- Partner, Thomas, Snell, Jamison, Russell, Williamson & Asperger (1970-1985)
Specialized in business litigation, including antitrust, securities, agricultural, corporate and construction industry matters. (Martindale-Hubbell “AV” rating)
- Captain, U. S. Army (active duty) (1968-1970)
Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, US Army Intelligence Command, Fort Holabird, MD.
Awarded Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM)
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators
- California Academy of Appellate Lawyers
- American Arbitration Association/ICDR Arbitrator: Construction and Commercial Panels (1976-1985); Judges, Commercial, Large Complex Case, Appellate, International, Employment, Health Care and Master Mediation Panels (present)
- Federal Arbitration, Inc. (State Judge’s Panel)
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- American Arbitration Assn, Distinguished Service Award (1990)